Reading List

  • Girlfriends' Getaway
  • Farmer Jane, Temra Costa
  • A Moveable Feast, Earnest Hemingway
  • Holidays on Ice, David Sedaris
  • The Lacuna, Barbara Kingsolver
Powered By Blogger

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Earth Life

Today marks the beginning of Earth Week, culminating in Earth Day on Friday, and so it seems apt that I should share a blog post about my new adventures into strict vegetarianism. I think this may actually be several posts, so I'm just going to scratch the surface on this one...
I innocently picked up a lovely green book a few weeks ago at my church bookstore called "Eating Animals" by Jonathan Safran Foer. I've been going through a lot of changes in my life lately as I more intentionally align myself with my values, and this book grabbed me for many reasons. I have toyed with vegetarianism my entire adult life, having settled on a diet that's mostly veg, with some chicken and fish thrown in for good protein, but if I'm really honest with myself, I prefer a totally veg diet for both aesthetic and humane reasons. So, when I saw this book I thought that it might just give me enough of a reason to cross over to the totally green side.
I had no idea what I was getting myself into. Book in hand, my husband and son and I headed back to our car, and after a bit of discussion about the book,  my confirmed carnivore husband made a final statement, "Well, I'm going to eat whatever I want!" It was his final battle cry, and he was going down. I had long ago resigned myself to the fact that he would never budge on his dietary choices, and I was fine with that. Or so I thought.
After reading just a few chapters of the book, I was gushing to him about what a great writer Jonathan was, how engaging the book was, and how much it really made one think about the meat industry. Well, I must have gotten to him at a particularly vulnerable moment, because the next thing I knew, he was reading the book! We were actually fighting over book time!
And now, here we are, just a few short weeks later, and my confirmed carnivore husband is on his second week of being a vegetarian! I can hardly believe it! We're in unchartered territory, and I will go deeper into what he learned that really pushed him to the green side in future posts, as well as chart out our adventures in these unfamiliar waters. Who knows...maybe we'll inspire a few more veg heads who will wake from the nightmare of The Meatrix like we did!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Back to TOP

Glamour Bomb Templates